Google+ Update & Screenshots
After some tinkering around with Google+ a little bit today, I’ve decided I like it. I haven’t played with it enough yet to write up a full review…that will come tomorrow. There are some really cool features, however.
1. Circles- A quick and convenient way of organizing your friends into different groups. I’ve always thought Facebook’s friend lists feature was a bit too unwieldy, out of the way and rigid. Google is definitely on the right track here.
2. Sparks- Similar to the newsfeed, but you input your interests (eg., Soccer, Movies, Tom Hanks, etc.) and you see a list of news articles and updates about those topics. Pretty cool. Doesn’t replace the newsfeed, there’s one of those as well.
3. Stream-Basically the Google+ version of the newsfeed. You can select whether you want to see updates from certain friend circles or all of them. It can also show your notifications and incoming messages.
3. Hangouts- Group video chats. Very cool. Really easy to start a “hangout” with a group of friends and get a video chat going. Probably the coolest feature on Google+ that I’ve seen so far.
Couldn’t get three people online to “hangout” with me (story of my life, right?), so I’ll have to add some more screenshots when I can.
4. +1′s- Pretty cool feature. Websites (such as this one) put the +1 icon somewhere on the site, users click it, and then your friends can view the sites that you have recommended, or +1′d on your profile.
Google+ also can also link to your Facebook, Picasa, Twitter, etc. profiles. The chate feature is basically the google chat already present in gmail, which is pretty convenient, because it lets you chat with all of your google contacts and not just the ones that are on Google+.
That’s all I have for now…I’ll try to keep updating as I play around with it more and figure some more stuff out.
If you’d like an invite I’m pretty sure I can get them, so send me your email address ([email protected]) and I’ll see what I can do.